Carbon monoxide (CO)

A colourless, odourless, poisonous gas present in motor exhaust fumes and produced by inefficient burning of coal, gas, or oil. Carbon monoxide binds with haemoglobin and prevents the transportation of oxygen to body tissues. The initial symptoms of acute high-level carbon monoxide poisoning are dizziness, headache, nausea, and faintness. Continued inhalation of the gas may lead to loss of consciousness, permanent brain damage, and even death. Low-level exposure to carbon monoxide over a period of time may cause fatigue, nausea, diarrhoea, abdominal pain, and general malaise.


Online Medical Dictionary: Your essential reference to over 5000 medical terms.